- Prepared chickpeas (canned or fresh out of the pressure cooker.
- Avocado oil (or other high heat cooking oil)
- Taco seasoning
- Pico de Gallo
- Red and Green peppers (optional)
- Tomato (optional)
- Onion (optional)
- Jalapeño or other peppers (optional)
- Vegan cheese
- Prepare chickpeas if using a pressure cooker.
- If making fresh pico, prepare. Use can use my recipe!
- To a frying pan, add one tablespoon of oil, tomato, peppers and my taco seasoning (use my recipe). Allow spices to bloom and the peppers to soften, add onions. If you prefer crisp veggies, add them all in at the same time. If you prefer extra spicy flavors, add more jalapeños or use a hotter pepper.
- Add chickpeas toward the end to warm them. Cook until onions are translucent and/or veggies are softened with some color.
Frying pan method:
- In a different pan, heat a small amount of oil. Once the oil is hot, fry a tortilla until is has a little color, set aside. This will be your top.
- Add a second tortilla to the pan and layer with cheese.
- Add filling, pico de Gallo and a second layer of cheese, if desired. Place the first tortilla on top, crispy side out.
- Be careful not to burn the bottom tortilla, you make want to reduce heat. Alternatively, you can add the cheese to your filling before assembly.
- Fry until the bottom is golden and the cheese is melted.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a silicone lined baking sheet with oil. Place a tortilla on the pan, add a layer of cheese and then your filling. Add a second layer of Pico de Gallo and cheese, if desired and add the top tortilla. Spray tortilla lightly with oil.
- Bake until cheese is melted and the tortilla are slightly golden.
- You can place under the grill/broiler for extra crispy tortilla.
Remove from the oven and allow it to cool for a minute or two before cutting with a pizza cutter. Serve with Pico de Gallo.